QuickBooks has evolved the traditional methods of performing the tasks related to accounting and bookkeeping. Packed with the latest tools and features, this software is gaining an appreciation for helping small and medium-sized entrepreneurs. With each passing year, the financial software is coming up with more improvements to satisfy its customers. But these features and advantages can’t hide the few errors it has as it is just software after all. QuickBooks Error 6073 is one such error that occurs when you can’t open the company file. This error can trouble you to an extent that you will have to stop your crucial work in between because if you can’t get access to the company file you can’t resume your business-related tasks.
After getting this error you might get some questions in your mind like- Why does QuickBooks Error 6073 take place? What damage does this error do? What to do when QuickBooks is unable to open this company file? Well, do not get confused and read this productive post till the end to get all the answers. Let’s get started.
What does QuickBooks 6073 Error Mean?
QuickBooks Error -6073 means that another person is trying to open or has already opened the similar company file that you are trying to open. When your system catches this error, your screen flashes a warning message reading ‘QuickBooks is unable to open this company file.’ This error immediately stands between you and your work causing obstruction to you in completing your tasks. Let’s discuss the causes of QuickBooks Error Code 6073 to give you an in-depth idea about this troublesome error.
Major Causes of QuickBooks Error 6073
There are multiple causes for QuickBooks Error 6073 99001 to take place. We have listed few commons reasons below:
- Your company file is opened in another system.
- The file is kept in a folder of a read-only network.
- Maybe your files are on a Unix or Linux server.
- Trying to login using multiple credentials can lead to QuickBooks Error 6073.
- The file is being opened by a remote (distant) operating system and the system (host) is already signed in or active.
Fixation of QuickBooks Error 6073 with Most Reliable Solutions
There is no error that can’t be fixed using some troubleshooting steps. Fixing QuickBooks Error 6073 is not a complicated task at all. But that also does not mean that it is a child’s task. We mean to say that, you will be able to fix the error only if you read this post attentively and follow all the steps in order. We assure you that you will get relief from this issue by the time you reach the end of this post. Have a look.
Solution 1: Using QuickBooks File Doctor
This repairing tool is a solution to many QB errors because it is one of the best tools to remove bugs and technical errors. You can download and run it with the help of the procedure given below:
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub and install it.
- Save the file where you can get it easily.
- Click on QuickBooksToolHUb.exe and open it.
- Your screen will prompt some instructions to install, follow them, and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click on Open the Quickbooks Tool Hub.
- Inside it, search for the option of Company Files issues and pick it.
- Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool (Green icon).
- Under the tab of File Doctor, pick the company file or find it using the option of Browse.
- Click on continue after checking the file.
- Tap on the Repair option and the tool will identify and repair the error on its own.
- You will be informed when the repairing and fixing process is completed.
Now check if the error is repaired or not. If not, then jump to the next advanced solution.
Solution 2: Fix Corrupted Network Data File
This method can be helpful in fixing the corrupt Network data File causing QuickBooks Error 6073. The procedure is:
- Right-click on the tab Start and open Windows Explorer.
- Find the folder having the company file.
- Right-click on the file having the extension of Network Data and QB company file.
- Make some modifications to the file extension. Rename it .ndold. Hit Enter.
- Open QB and then your company file.
- Now QB will create another network data file for your company file
Solution 3: Check the Hidden Files
You have to check whether the transaction log and network data files are labeled as hidden or not. You can execute this easy solution by following the steps written below:
- Open My Computer.
- Reach out to the Tools option.
- Tap on the Folder tab.
- Navigate to the View option.
- Go to Show Hidden Files and Folders and select it.
- Now open the Data folder and check the transaction log and network data files.
- Right-click on the option of Network Data files and choose Properties.
- Delete the option of Hidden and Hit OK.
Solution 4: Try to Resolve the Error Manually
Case 1: If the Company File is Logged in Another System in Single User Mode Workstation
- First of all, close QB on all computers.
- Now open the Company file onto the “Host” or active system.
- Reach out to the File option.
- Select Switch to Multi-User mode.
- Now, reboot your computer.
Case 2: If the Company File is Opened on the Host System using Single-user Mode
- Choose the File option and then tap on Close Company.
- Open the company file again.
- Visit the File menu and pick the option of Open or Restore Company.
- Tap on the Company file twice.
- Press Next.
- After that, open the Company file using multi-user mode.
Case 3: If the Company File is kept in a Folder of a Read-only Network
- Access the host system where your company file is kept.
- Open the folder where you’ve stored your company file.
- Right-click on it to choose Properties.
- Reach out to the option of Security.
- Choose the User having issues related to login.
- Use the option of Edit.
- After making modifications, click on Allow.
- Tap on Apply to save the changes. Hit on OK.
Case 4: The File is being Opened by a Remote (Distant) Operating System and the System (Host) is already Signed in
- Right-click on Taskbar and open Task Manager.
- Reach out to the option of Processes and check if the processes running in the background have similar names with which you have errors/issues.
- In case, you identify any processes running, then restart the PC.
These were the fixation methods to resolve Quickbooks error 6073 that you were eagerly looking for. See it was a bit easy to resolve this issue with some basic troubleshooting methods. We hope that you were able to kick out these troublesome errors with the help of our informative post. As a token of gratitude, we request you to check out our website for more such articles. We are glad to assist you.
Also, if any problem occurs while following the solutions you can always contact QuickBooks Customer Support to get direct help from certified professionals. You can obtain their contact details online. The experts are sitting there 24×7 to help you out of the issues related to QuickBooks.